Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Lavoro, lavoro, lavoro! My time with Giuseppina!

First, I'll tease you with ingredients...then a story...farsa!







Mama Mia! Again, another little story to tell...all of you that know me, know that food - eating it and making it- is one of those things that helps get me out of bed in the morning (high on a short list). I knew that coming to Italy would open my eyes (and stomach) to the truth of this regional fare...When most Americans talk about eating Italian, or Chinese, or Mexican, or insert any regional cuisine...they are usually only experiencing a tiny slice, a half baked version of the real thing. No offense to chefs, cooks, and the many restaurants they run all over the States...their food, for the most part, is simply not authentic...so, you go to the source, right?

When I heard that we'd be spending a morning taking a cooking class with an Italian chef I was excited, but skeptical...make spaghetti with marinara...that's Italian, right!!!(we wouldn't know the difference, right??? think it was amazing..everyone leaves happy.)...


But then I met Giuseppina Pizzolato, and knew this would be no ordinary few hours spent in a kitchen...We drove onto winding country roads near Poggibonsi and Certaldo...becoming more twisted and more narrow as we went...dogs and the occasional chicken foraging along the verge...funny that the drive was reminiscent of the route from Lexington, Ky. to my father's hometown, Lancaster, Ky...it's been a while...


We pulled down a narrow, rocky drive into a series of lots that sat on a ridge above the countryside..shared by several squat, blocky structures (most of which seemed to be undergoing some form of construction and/or upkeep). At the end of the gravel road, was a simple, but elegant brick home. The sign next to the door said only "cooking school"...the rest would be better served by my images, than my poor, broken prose...so, let me introduce you to La Cucina Giuseppina...






1 comment: