Tuesday, June 19, 2012

In the Gallery -


I'm still in the process of mulling through my thoughts on this work..look for an "essay" before Thursday's closing reception... But I thought I should provide a preview of what the work looks like installed in the space... A sense of my intent and the scale...The images are all printed on Epson's new back-lit polyester trans film - eight 24"x36" and two 60"x40" prints mounted on plexiglass in handmade (by myself and friends - thanks Kevin, Chris, and Aaron- without your help it would not have gotten done.) whitewashed, 6 inch deep light boxes... 

The decision to build the light boxes is rooted in the origins of the files (see earlier posts) and the fact, that though the print is not necessarily "dying", does not change the fact that the vast majority of photographs are now only viewed on screen, as projected light...twenty years ago the opposite was true- most photos were viewed as prints...I want to capture the impermanence, the fleeting nature of the everyday image, but also the nature of the photo in the "digital age". Hope to see you Thursday, June 21 - 6pm-9pm at Big Medium gallery...http://www.bigmedium.org/about.html 






1 comment:

  1. Great idea to print this work in a duratran style. Very fitting with how the images were made and your words about the modern digital age.

    ReplyDelete